The CPC in Dialogue with World Political Parties High-Level Meeting
Beijing, 3 December 2017
1. We, the over 600 delegates representing nearly300 political parties and political organizations from over 120 countries, attended the CPC in Dialogue with World Political Parties High-Level Meeting hosted by the International Department of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of China (CPC) in Beijing, China from 30th November to 3rd December 2017.
2. Under the theme of “Working Together Towards a Community with a Shared Future for Mankind and a Better World: Responsibilities of Political Parties”, extensive and in-depth discussions and interactions were conducted during this High-Level Meeting on various topics, inter alia, “Xi Jinping Thought on Socialism with Chinese Characteristics for a New Era”, “Development of China: New Era, New Vision”, “Promoting Innovation across the World: Role of China”, “Building Stronger Political Parties, Challenges and Prospects”, “Striving for Better Development of Countries: National Practice and Experience of Political Parties”, “Jointly Pursuing the Belt and Road Initiative: Role of Political Parties”, and “Steering the Building of a Community with a Shared Future for Mankind: Role and Responsibilities of Political Parties”. These deliberations serve as a concerted effort to ascertain whither the development of the entire humanity and solutions to practical issues, and working together to build a community with a shared future for mankind and a better world. The meeting has been a complete success with broad consensus reached.
3. As we are witnessing it, the world is undergoing major developments, transformation, and adjustment, but peace and development remain the call of our day. The trends of global multi-polarity, economic globalization, IT application, and cultural diversity are surging forward; changes in the global governance system and the international order are speeding up; countries are becoming increasingly interconnected and interdependent; and humanity’s aspiration and needs for a better life are on the rise. And yet, as a world we face growing uncertainties and destabilizing factors. The recovery process of the world economy remains unstable; global economic growth lacks energy; the gap between rich and poor continues to widen; and problems arising out of unbalanced and inadequate development become further pronounced on a global scale. Against the backdrop of a complex and volatile global security situation, regional hotspot issues crop up one after another; and unconventional security threats like terrorism, cyber-insecurity, major infectious diseases, and climate change continue to spread. The world we live in is full of both hope and challenges. The common ideal and aspiration of ours lie in the building of a better world.
4. We are of the view that, in face of the complex and profound changes in the international situation, no country can alone address the many challenges facing mankind; and no country can afford to retreat into self-isolation. The future of a country rests in the hands of her people, and the future of mankind rests in the hands of the people of all countries. As the development of human society finds itself at the crossroads, the way we see and go determines the prospects and future of mankind. We should foster and embrace the idea of interconnectivity of interests and a shared future in place of the self-concern mindset and dichotomic mentality, and promote the building of a community with a shared future for mankind and a better world.
5. We are of the view that only when all countries follow the path of peaceful development can we live in a more peaceful and better world. Peace and development form an organic unity, underpinning and reinforcing one another. Peace, like air and sunshine, is hardly noticed when people are benefiting from it. But none of us can live without it. Peace has always been the aspiration of people worldwide, and the precondition for development. On the other hand, development holds the final key to resolving all kinds of problems in the world. Only through sustained development can world peace be fundamentally safeguarded. Countries should uphold the principle of safeguarding world peace and promoting common development, firmly pursue win-win cooperation, take an active part in building and reforming the global governance system, and make the international order more fair and just.
6. We are of the view that forging a new form of international relations featuring mutual respect, fairness, justice, and win-win cooperation is imperative to the building of a community with a shared future for mankind and a better world. Mutual respect implies that countries should respect each other’s sovereignty, independence and territorial integrity, respect each other’s choice of paths of development and values, transcend differences in social system, ideology and cultural tradition, and promote exchanges and cooperation among countries with a more open and inclusive attitude, and accommodate others’ interests and legitimate concerns while pursuing their own interests. Fairness and justice implies that we should ensure equal rights, opportunities and rules, and that world affairs should be handled through discussions and consultations of governments and people of all countries; that we should uphold the purposes and principles of the UN Charter, ensure equal and uniform application of the international law instead of selective application based on one’s own interests; that we should decide our positions and policies based on the merits of individual affairs, and avoid factionalism and double standards. Win-win cooperation implies that we should forgo zero-sum-game mentality, and the outdated thinking of one party winning and the other party losing, and foster the new idea of mutual benefits, and realize shared benefits and common development through consultation and cooperation.
7. We are aware that there are no precedents or past experience to draw from in building a community with a shared future for mankind. Nevertheless, our courage and sense of responsibility will light up our path forward and provide us with inexhaustible strength. By moving together, we can go farther. In the process of building a community with a shared future for mankind and a better world, governments, political parties, parliaments, social organizations and citizens alike should all play their active roles. Among them, political parties play a critical role in garnering popular support and providing political guidance as the basic form of organization and important force in the political landscape of countries. At present, lasting peace, universal security, common prosperity, openness and inclusiveness, cleanness and beautifulness have increasingly become the aspiration of people worldwide for a better future, and it is the unshakable responsibility and mission of political parties to steer the world towards this direction. We call on political parties around the world to join us in building world peace, contributing to global development and safeguarding the international order. Political parties from different countries should enhance mutual trust, strengthen communication, and work closely to forge, on the basis of a new form of international relations, a new form of party-to-party relations featuring seeking common grounds while transcending differences, mutual respect and mutual learning, so as to create a mighty force that enables us to build a community with a shared future for mankind.
8. We call on political parties to facilitate the building of partnerships. We should take the correct approach to developing state-to-state relations with communication, not confrontation, and with partnership, not alliance. Countries should discard the Cold War mentality, power politics, and sectarianism. They should forge a closer partnership by constantly deepening mutual understanding and seeking win-win cooperation. Large countries should respect each other’s core interests and major concerns and treat small countries as equals, uphold justice while pursuing shared interests, and place more emphasis on justice. Countries should forge friendship and partnership with neighbors and build the deep sea, the polar region, the outer space, the internet and other spheres into new frontiers of cooperation rather than a boxing ring for contest. Political parties should be more purposeful and take more actions to encourage governments and peoples of different countries to deepen mutual understanding, promote policy coordination and people-to-people bonds, and play a more active role in building a global partnership.
9. We call on political parties to contribute to the building of world peace. Yearning for safety and security is a human instinct. We should foster new thinking on common, comprehensive, cooperative and sustainable security to both effectively safeguard national security and promote world security governance. We should commit to settling disputes through dialogues and resolving differences through discussion, respect the role of the UN as the main mediation channel, promote the settlement of conventional security challenges and regional hotspot issues, and work together to deal with unconventional security threats like terrorism. Political parties should play a more constructive role with a stronger sense of responsibility and mission to bring about a world of universal security void of terror.
10. We call on political parties to promote global development. Countries should stick together through thick and thin, pursue win-win cooperation instead of isolationism, exclusionism and protectionism. Countries, major economies in particular, should step up macro policy coordination, uphold WTO rules, support multilateral trade system, boost trade and investment facilitation and promote the building of an open world economy. Meanwhile, we should further improve global economic and financial governance and make relevant systems and arrangements more fair and just following the principle of achieving shared growth through discussion and collaboration. We should devote more attention to vulnerable groups, work hard on targeted poverty alleviation, make economic globalization more open, inclusive, and balanced so that its benefits are shared by all, and reduce imbalance and inadequacy in global development, so that the benefits of world economic growth are shared by peoples of all countries. In this process, political parties should, taking into account the demand both for domestic development and common development of the world, create more cooperation opportunities for the world, and be ready to break new ground and take more actions to contribute more wisdom and solutions to build a world of common prosperity void of poverty.
11. We call on political parties to encourage mutual learning among civilizations. Differences among civilizations should be the driving force for the development of human civilization instead of the root cause of conflicts. We should respect the diversity of civilizations, promote the exchanges and dialogues between different civilizations and development models so that they can draw on each other’s strengths through competition and realize common development through exchanges and mutual learning. Political parties, while keeping civilizations alive and strong, should follow the spirit of harmony among diversity, encourage countries to replace estrangement with exchange, clashes with mutual learning and superiority with coexistence and make joint efforts to build an open and inclusive world void of reclusiveness.
12. We call on political parties to be the guardians of ecology and environment. As there is but one home planet to mankind, we should promote ecological progress, respect nature, follow its ways and protect it to realize the harmonious coexistence among human being, between man and nature and between man and society. We shall advocate the mode of production and lifestyle that is green, low-carbon, circular and sustainable. Efforts should be made towards the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development in a balanced manner. We must pursue a model of sustainable development featuring increased production, higher living standards and healthy ecosystems. Joint efforts should be made to implement the Paris Agreement, and countries should make more intended nationally determined contribution under the principle of shared responsibility. Political parties should be forward-looking and adopt a long-term perspective to shoulder responsibilities for our generation, future generations, and for the ecological environment and pursue innovations to make an even greater contribution to building a clean and beautiful world with picturesque landscape and clear water.
13. We commend the immense efforts and important contribution of the Communist Party of China with General Secretary Xi Jinping as the core and the Chinese government in promoting the building of a community with a shared future for mankind and a better world. We are happy to see the Belt and Road Initiative gradually turning from an idea into actions and from vision into reality, bearing productive results. The thoughts and ideas put forward by China during the implementation of the Belt and Road Initiative have received wide support. The principle of wide consultation, joint contribution and shared benefits has been incorporated into the UN resolutions. Broad consensus has been reached regarding the Silk Road spirit of peace and cooperation, openness and inclusiveness, mutual learning and mutual benefits. The policy, infrastructure, trade, financial and people-to-people connectivity has emerged as an important approach to international and regional cooperation. Practice has proven that the Belt and Road Initiative conforms to the trend of the times, serves the interests of people of all countries, and provides a platform for the building of a community with a shared future for mankind. We wish to place on record our earnest expectations and best wishes for the implementation of the initiative.
14. We are gratified to note that the building of a community with a shared future for mankind is highlighted in the Xi Jinping Thought on Socialism with Chinese Characteristics for a New Era. It demonstrates that the Communist Party of China, as a large party with a strong sense of responsibility and global perspective, strives for both the wellbeing of the Chinese people and human progress. We applaud the CPC’s courage to carry out self-reform. Over the past years since the 18th CPC National Congress, the CPC Central Committee with General Secretary Xi Jinping as the core has unwaveringly promoted full and rigorous governance over the Party and improved the Party’s ability to govern and lead, which has put in place the most solid foundation for the historic achievement and transformation in China and served as the most important guarantee for China to play its role as a responsible major country and make new and bigger contributions to the world.
15. We are gratified to note that during the supporting events to the CPC in Dialogue with World Political Parties High-Level Meeting, in-depth dialogues were conducted and broad consensus were reached between the CPC and representatives of African political parties on the theme of “Building China-Africa Community with a Shared Future: Mission and Role of Political Parties” and those between the CPC and political parties from Central Asian countries parties on the theme of “Steering Sub-national Cooperation and Jointly Pursuing the Belt and Road Initiative”. The consensus are of far-reaching significance for deepening regional cooperation and promoting the building of a community with a shared future for the region and mankind. We are of the view that as China is the world’s second largest economy and the largest developing country, its development philosophy and successful practice can offer good reference to other developing countries in their efforts to eliminate poverty and accelerate development. Dialogues between and among political parties play an important role in deepening mutual understanding, in sharing governance experience, in promoting practical cooperation and in enhancing political mutual trust. The international community should encourage more interactions and exchanges between and among political parties of different countries and formulate international party-to-party exchanges and cooperation networks in various forms and at multiple levels. We propose that the CPC in Dialogue with World Political Parties High-level Meeting be institutionalized, and become a high-level platform for political dialogue with broad representation and global influence.
16. We express our sincere gratitude to the leadership of the Communist Party of China and the Chinese government for the tremendous support rendered towards the success of the High-level Meeting. We also express our heartfelt appreciation to our host, the International Department of the CPC Central Committee, for the warm hospitality and considerate arrangements as well as to the generous support from all parties concerned, and to the volunteers for their devotion and service. We look forward to the next meeting of the Dialogue with eager anticipation!